The following post is from Xander Marketing in Wokingham, England that I thought was succinct and well written - they also have a clever marketing alphabet worth checking out. Visit them here at and check out their informative blog.
And we quote...
Search Engine Optimisation is the buzzword for small business websites at the moment. Having your website ranked highly on search engines for your keywords is more important than ever. Here are 6 simple things you can do to your site today to start moving it up those search engines…
- Page titles - Many people say this is the most important part of search engine optimisation at the moment. Write an accurate, keyword rich page title. Don’t say “Xander Marketing – Home”. Say “Xander Marketing | Marketing Agency for SME | Berkshire”
- Meta description – This is how your site is described in search engines. If you don’t have a description search engines will just pull the first bit of content off your page it can find. Again, make it keyword rich and try and keep it to 160 characters.
- Descriptive URLS – Don’t use URLs like XanderMarketing.com/1212lkl.php/12etc. Do use URLs like XanderMarketing.com/about.php.
- Meta tags – Not as important as they used to be but still easy to implement and they do have some importance for search engines. These are keywords that go in your code to inform search engines of your keywords.
- Replace images with text – If your links or headings are images search engines can’t read these. Replace as many as you can with text links.
- Create an XML sitemap for your website – This informs search engines about URLs on a website that are available for crawling. To create a free sitemap for your website visit: www.xml-sitemaps.com.
Special thanks to Alex Cohen for his generous permission to reprint this material.